Download “In the World” for October 3, 2021 here.
AN EXPERT SHEPHERD
“I kept meeting people with expertise but without an opportunity to mentor,” says Deborah Heiser, founder of The Mentor Project. In a recent interview in Forbes, Heiser explained that this led to her forming a non-profit organization with the goal of connecting experts in science, law, business, and finance with students around the globe for free. One example happened at the height of the pandemic, when the organization connected a 16-year-old inventor with two mentors: an innovator and an intellectual properties lawyer. “A patent is out of the realm of possibility for most people,” Heiser said, “but because they worked each week with him for free, he could get a patent pending! And, for a 16-year-old, this is a life-changing experience.” The Mentor Project pairs world-class mentors with students eager to be shepherded, and the results are powerful.
THE GREATEST SHEPHERD
Psalm 100 reminds us that we are the sheep and God is the shepherd. It is a powerful metaphor for how wise and knowledgeable God is and how simple and sometimes clueless we are. Happy is the “sheep” who attends to the guidance of the divine shepherd.
- Who have been your key mentors?
- When have you “stumbled into” a situation that you came to see as the result of God’s shepherding?
- In what other ways is the shepherd/sheep metaphor applicable in the Christian life?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “The Old Ship of Zion” by Valor
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Here I Am” by Kevin Levar
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Be Thou My Vision” by Urban Doxology
- Guzik’s Commentary on Psalm 100
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on Psalm 100
- Gill’s Exposition of Psalm 100
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.