Download “In the World” for April 26, 2020 here.
MOST-FAVORED NATIONS EXEMPTED FROM TARIFFS
With the global economy disrupted by the coronavirus, President Donald Trump recently granted a ninety-day exemption from tariffs for most-favored nations. The goal is to allow non-U.S. companies to retain money that would have normally been paid to the American government during shutdowns connected to the pandemic. A country is granted most-favored nation status by becoming a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO), which requires that any member government abide by certain criteria. WTO rules include such things as easing customs procedures and reining in tariffs that would reduce imports.
MOST-FAVORED NATION STATUS IN THE EYES OF GOD
In today’s Bible passage, the Lord grants most-favored nation status to Israel, saying He will make an everlasting covenant with them. God chooses nations for His own reasons, and the criteria He gave for honoring Israel in this way was His own truth and faithfulness. He set one nation above all as a light to draw the others and to bring glory to His name.
- When has favor come upon you in some way (winning something, for example)?
- When have you felt as if God has favored you?
- In light of this passage, how might ancient Israel have viewed itself compared to other nations?
- Music Video, Traditional: “Nearer My God to Thee”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Living Proof” by David & Nicole Binion + Steffany Gretzinger
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Praise the Name (Ancient Doors)” by Thrive Worship
- Guzik’s Commentary on Isaiah 61
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on Isaiah 61
- JFB Commentary on Isaiah 61
Copyright © 2020 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.