Download “In the World” for April 4, 2021 here.
HIS LIFE GIVEN FOR MANY
Three weeks ago, Tampa Bay police officer Jesse Madsen took Interstate 275 home after his shift. Madsen, father of three and a seven-time recipient of the Tampa Police Department’s Life-Saving Award, saw a car coming toward him, racing the wrong way at over 100 mph. The driver, probably intoxicated, was almost certain to cause multiple accidents and possibly many fatalities. So Officer Madsen intentionally veered into the car’s path. Both men died in the fiery collision, but no one else was injured. “Officer Madsen is a true American hero,” said police Chief Brian Dugan. “He deliberately moved his patrol car into the other driver’s path of travel … to stop this wrong way driver from putting anyone else’s life in danger by laying down his own.”
HIS LIFE GIVEN FOR ALL
This weekend we celebrate Easter, when the greatest act of personal sacrifice in history was overwhelmed by resurrection. Isaiah 53, our passage today, is one of the most remarkable Old Testament descriptions of the Messiah, later revealed to be Jesus. To make a way for all humanity to be offered salvation from something even worse than physical death, Jesus deliberately offered His life in exchange for us all. May we worship Him in awe.
- What is the greatest act of sacrifice for the sake of others that you have ever seen or heard of anyone making?
- Which aspect of Christ’s suffering, crucifixion, death, burial, or resurrection is most meaningful to you this year?
- How could you honor the family of a fallen police officer, firefighter, soldier, or other hero?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “He Arose”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “He Arose” by New Hope Mass Choir
- Music Video, Contemporary: “He Rose” by Deluge
- Guzik’s Commentary on Isaiah 53
- Pulpit Commentary on Isaiah 53
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on Isaiah 53
Get unlimited access to “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.