Download “In the World” for August 4 here.
A FRIENDSHIP THAT SAVED THE UNIVERSE
On July 20, Avengers: Endgame became the highest-grossing movie of all time, earning $2.7892 billion globally. The film surpassed James Cameron’s Avatar, which had topped the list (for non-inflation-adjusted films) for ten years. The Avengers movies feature a group of superhero friends who band together to fight off a parade of supervillains and their hordes. Though the heroes sometimes disagree and even fight one another, in the end, they put aside their differences for the common good.
A FRIENDSHIP THAT HONORED GOD
David and Jonathan are perhaps the best-known friends in the Bible. David had been anointed by the prophet Samuel to become Israel’s next king. Jonathan, as King Saul’s son and heir to the throne, had every reason to be jealous of David, but he was not. The hearts of the two became knitted together, and they solidified their friendship with a covenant. That covenant was tested as Saul sought to kill David. But Jonathan honored God by upholding his word to protect his friend.
- If you could cause one movie to be the highest-earning film of all time, which would you pick, and why?
- When has your friendship with someone been sorely tested? What happened?
- What was it about Jonathan that caused him to not be angry or threatened by David, even knowing that David’s presence meant Jonathan would never be king?
- Music Video, Traditional: “What a Friend We Have in Jesus”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Falling on My Knees” by William McDowell
- Music Video, Contemporary: “This Is Love” by New Wine Worship
- Guzik’s Commentary on 1 Samuel 18
- Constable’s Commentary on 1 Samuel 18
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on 1 Samuel 18
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.