Download “In the World” for December 12, 2021 here.
INSPIRING CHILDREN TO SHOW KINDNESS
Last month, the subscription programming service Apple TV+ debuted a children’s program called Hello, Jack! The Kindness Show. With more than a few similarities to Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, the new show features actor Jack McBrayer, famous for his broad smile and “infectious positivity.” The show was developed by Angela C. Santomero, creator of Blue’s Clues and co-author of a book entitled Radical Kindness: The Life-Changing Power of Giving and Receiving. Apple says Hello, Jack! aims to “ignite kindness through exploring empathy, humor, playfulness and imagination.” In a time when things can seem dark and scary to children, a show that inspires them to show kindness to others is a welcome development.
INSPIRED TO SHOW KINDNESS TO A FRIEND’S CHILD
When King David was at the height of his reign, having subdued the enemies on all sides, his mind turned to his late friend Jonathan. He wished to do some kindness to Jonathan’s family, so he investigated whether or not any of his relatives remained alive. He found Mephibosheth, a crippled son of Jonathan, and brought him to his palace. He returned to the young man all the land that had belonged to his father, Jonathan, and his grandfather, King Saul, and he invited him to dine at the king’s own table regularly.
- Of what benefit is a television program that models kindness to children?
- When have you shown kindness to one person because of gratitude to someone else?
- How could God’s kindness to us inspire us to show kindness to others?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “What Are They Doing in Heaven?” by Babbie Mason
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Waking Up” by Bobby Alexandre, Common Hymnal
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Rest on Us” by Bright City
- Guzik’s Commentary on 2 Samuel 9
- Pulpit Commentary on 2 Samuel 9
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on 2 Samuel 9
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.