Download “In the World” for December 19, 2021 here.
CORRUPTION IN GOVERNMENT
In October, the leader of Austria—Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (35)—resigned amidst accusations of corruption. He and nine other individuals plus three organizations were accused of using government money to gain favorable coverage in a prominent newspaper and other daily media. Bribery and manipulated content, including doctored opinion surveys, were used to generate a consistently positive view of his administration. Kurz maintained his innocence and said he resigned “to make space to guarantee stability.”
GOVERNING WITH RIGHTEOUSNESS
At Christmas, we remember Isaiah’s prophecy of a child who would be born to be a great light for people living in darkness, The government would be on this child’s shoulders, and He would establish His kingdom with justice and righteousness. Our passage today reminds us of how much greater the rule of Christ will be.
- Who is or was the finest elected official you know of? Why do you think that person was elected?
- Why do governments seem prone to corruption?
- In what ways does the government foreseen in Isaiah 9 stand in contrast to governments today?
These videos and materials are for your personal use.
If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “When They Ring Those Golden Bells” by Patsy Cline & Loretta Lynn
- Music Video, Multicultural: “I Can’t Stay Here” by David & Nicole Binion
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Light of All the Earth” by Matt Marvane
- Guzik’s Commentary on Isaiah 9
- Pulpit Commentary on Isaiah 9
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on Isaiah 9
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.