Download “In the World” for January 31, 2021 here.
WOMEN ARE VALUED IN ICELAND
Sara Sigmundsdottir is one of the world’s top female CrossFit athletes. She is from Iceland, which has produced a disproportionate number of world-class contenders in this fitness category for its population of only 360,000. Many have wondered why this is so. Some credit the shieldmaiden legacy of Viking women. Others mention the toughness demanded by life in the cold land of volcanoes and geysers. In more recent years, people have pointed to the fact that Iceland has the world’s best male and female parity policies, enforced by many laws and agencies and mandated as a teaching throughout the school years. Sara praises the opportunities given by her homeland, and she channels these into her work ethic. “I want to prove that if you set your mind to something and work hard for it,” she says, “you will get it.”
WOMEN ARE VALUED IN GOD’S KINGDOM
From the beginning, God has set men and women on equal footing. Scripture is full of stories of the Lord’s high regard for women. Jesus was considered controversial for how He consistently valued those whom society had labeled as outcasts, including women. Today’s Scriptures remind us that Jesus expects women to have integral parts in the establishment of His kingdom, including the sacred act of divine prophecy.
- If God considers men and women to be of equal value, why have societies not shared that view?
- How have women been more recognized for their importance in your lifetime?
- How do we put God’s high value of women into daily practice?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Have Thine Own Way, Lord” by George Beverly Shea
- Music Video, Multicultural: “You Give Me Life” by Noel Robinson
- Music Video, Contemporary: “So Will I (100 Billion X)” by Hillsong Worship
- Guzik’s Commentary on Luke 2 and Acts 21
- Barclay’s Commentary on Luke 2
- Pulpit Commentary on Acts 2
- Ellicott’s Commentary on Acts 2
- Clarke’s Commentary on Acts 21
Get unlimited access to “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.