Download “In the World” for July 11, 2021 here.
FINDING THE COURAGE TO CONFESS HER FAITH
In Makassar, Indonesia, a young woman named Yaya is suffering for her faith in Christ. She grew up in a Muslim home but had always been curious about Christianity. When Yaya met Uda, a faithful Christian man at the bank where they both worked, she was drawn to him, and they began seeing one another. Yaya attended church with Uda, eventually giving her life to Christ. But she was too afraid to tell her mother about her conversion. When Yaya learned that she had actually been adopted by her Muslim parents, she found the courage to finally tell her mother. Her mother flew into a rage, became violent, and threatened Yaya with a knife. She reported her daughter to a radical Muslim organization, who is suing the bank to have both Yaya and Uda fired. As of this writing, the matter was still unresolved.
DECLARING HIS COURAGE TO PREACH THE FAITH
Paul had wanted to visit the church in Rome but had long been prevented from doing so. Perhaps his desire to not build on works begun by others had something to do with it, as well. Whatever the reasons for his absence, it was not because he was somehow ashamed of the gospel. He knew that it was the very power of God for salvation, the only hope for humanity.
- When have you had to summon the courage to tell someone about your faith in Christ?
- What’s a situation that might cause someone to be ashamed of the gospel?
- Who would you speak to about Jesus if you had complete courage?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “I Am the Good Shepherd” by Fernando Ortega
- Music Video, Multicultural: “God Who Delivers” by Urban Doxology
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Who We Are” by MDSN
- Guzik Commentary on Romans 1
- Coffman Commentary on Romans 1
- Herrick Commentary on Romans 1
Get unlimited access to the “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.