Download “In the World” for July 18, 2021 here.
FAITH IN THEIR CHANCES
No matter how the Stanley Cup series ended, the Montreal Canadiens NHL hockey team made it to the finals because of their faith. Not many others shared this faith at the beginning of the tournament, as the Canadiens had the worst record of any of the teams that qualified. But they won 11 of 13 games through the preliminary rounds and in the first round made a sensational comeback against their rivals, the Toronto Maple Leaves, to overcome a 3-1 deficit. But when they were playing the Tampa Bay Lightning in the best-of-seven final round, their faith in their chances rose dramatically. “We wouldn’t be here right now if we didn’t believe,” said Canadiens goalie Carey Price. “We’ve believed this whole time.”
FAITH IN HIS GOD
In Paul’s masterpiece of theology, the letter to the Romans, he carefully laid out why faith in Christ is what is required for salvation. Obedience to the Law will save no one. In today’s passage, Paul recalls that it was the faith of Abraham, not his obedience, that brought about his justification from God. It wasn’t the Law of Moses that brought justification, as that was still 600 years in the future, and it wasn’t even the rite of circumcision that brought justification, as that too was in Abraham’s future. It was Abraham’s belief that God would keep his promises that brought about Abraham’s justification. Therefore, we too are made right with God through our faith and not through our works, sacrifices, or obedience to the Law.
- When did you believe in someone (or even in yourself) when no one else did?
- Why do you think people—including believers—tend to trust more in works than in faith?
- Why do you have faith in a God you have never seen?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “How Can I Keep from Singing?” by NYC Virtual Choir and Orchestra
- Music Video, Multicultural: “A Better Word” by Benita Jones
- Music Video, Contemporary: “How Can I Keep from Singing?” by NYC Virtual Choir and Orchestra
- Guzik’s Commentary on Romans 4
- Ellicott’s Commentary on Romans 4
- Gill’s Exposition of Romans 4
Get unlimited access to the “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.