Download “In the World” for July 19, 2020 here.
HOW A REFUGEE SHOULD BEHAVE
Majeda Khouri became a refugee from Syria in 2017 after speaking out against the regime of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad. She has made her home in London for now, arranging for her children to be reunited with her from Syria. But rather than adhere to the expectations she feels about what people think a refugee “should” be, she has remained outspoken about her nation’s situation and has become a business owner, opening a catering business. She even catered an event at which she herself gave a speech. The mayor of London expressed surprise at this, and Majeda said, “Yes, I can talk and I can cook!”
HOW A LOCAL BOY SHOULD BEHAVE
Early in Jesus’ ministry, He returned with His disciples to Nazareth and taught in the synagogue on the Sabbath. But the locals who had seen Him grow up wondered where these miracles and this wisdom had come from. They had formed their opinions about Him, and they had trouble seeing Him as something He had never been in their eyes.
- What have other people expected you to be that you are not?
- Who do you know who has broken the mold and defied expectations? How were that person’s actions received?
- Why were the people in Nazareth dismissive of Jesus when He returned to His hometown?
- Music Video, Traditional: “Are You Washed in the Blood?”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Build My Life” by Noel Robinson
- Music Video, Contemporary: “You Are God, Be Glorified” by New Wine Worship
- Barclay’s Commentary on Mark 6
- Pulpit Commentary on Mark 6
- Guzik’s Commentary on Mark 6
Copyright © 2020 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.