Download “In the World” for July 26, 2020 here.
THE WISE DECISION TO STAY BEHIND
Major League Soccer took a four-week suspension due to COVID-19. Earlier this month, the league resumed play with a closed-door event called the “MLS Is Back Tournament” in Orlando. To play, teams had to arrive in Florida and remain sequestered while they were tested for the corona virus. But one player made the decision to skip the tourney and stay home rather than travel with his team, the Los Angeles Football Club. Carlos Vela, the league’s reigning MVP, elected to remain at the side of his wife, who is pregnant. “I would like nothing more than to be with my teammates in Orlando,” Vela said in a statement released by the team. “However, it is in the best interest of the health of my family to stay home and be with my wife during what is a risky pregnancy.”
THE WISE DECISION TO FOLLOW
On the night Jesus was betrayed, He told His disciples that He was the only way of access to His Father. The disciples were confused by much of what the Lord said that night, so Jesus urged them to connect their faith in God to their faith in Him. When they understood that Jesus was in the Father and the Father was in Him, they saw that the wise decision was to follow Him. Indeed, He is the only way.
- What’s a decision you made based on your understanding about what was wise or prudent?
- When did you not heed godly wisdom, and what happened?
- How do you respond when someone says it’s “intolerant” to claim that there’s only one way to God?
- Music Video, Traditional: “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Come and Tear Down the Walls” by David & Nicole Binion / REVERE
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Come and Tear Down the Walls” by David & Nicole Binion / REVERE
- Guzik’s Commentary on John 14
- Spurgeon’s Commentary on John 14
- Gill’s Exposition of John 14
Copyright © 2020 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.