Download “In the World” for July 4, 2021 here.
GRATITUDE FOR CITIZENSHIP
This Fourth of July, 51 new American citizens are celebrating independence with a happy memory. A surprise speaker attended their naturalization ceremony in New York City last month: Douglas Emhoff (husband of Vice President Kamala Harris). The second gentleman gave the keynote address, mentioning his ancestors, who came to Ellis Island from Austria, and his wife’s parents, who are immigrants from Jamaica and India. One new citizen in the crowd felt especially grateful for her official status. Jia-Lin Liu from Taiwan waited 20 years for the ceremony. “I was laughing and crying but I’m really thankful,” Liu said. “Being an American gives you a lot of rights and power and resources.”
GRATITUDE FOR HEALING
Jesus met ten lepers on the border of Galilee and Samaria. He graciously granted healing to all ten, but only one—a Samaritan—came back to give Jesus thanks and praise. Though the Lord had miraculously restored their lives and status in society, only this one outsider showed gratitude.
- How did you or your family come to live in this nation?
- What are you most grateful for about this country?
- What are three things you’re deeply grateful to the Lord for?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “God of Our Fathers”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Outrageous Love” by Noel Robinson
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Oh How I Need You” by All Sons and Daughters
- Guzik’s Commentary on Luke 17 and Leviticus 13
- Gill’s Exposition of Luke 17
- Spurgeon’s Exposition of Luke 17
Get unlimited access to the “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.