Download “In the World” for March 15, 2020 here.
PLOTTING THE RUIN OF HOMEOWNERS
A Maryland man posing as a lawyer told multiple homeowners he would fight mortgage companies to lower their monthly payment. He instructed the owners to pay his fees and then to cease paying the mortgage or opening mail from the loan companies while he “worked things out” for them. The loan institutions eventually foreclosed on the homes, and the owners received eviction notices—because the mortgage payments had not been made and warning letters hadn’t been responded to. Then the man offered to purchase the distressed properties for pennies on the dollar. He was arrested in January.
PLOTTING THE RUIN OF WHOLE PEOPLES
The prophet Habakkuk received God’s word about how the Babylonian ruler had built his kingdom on fraud, violence, and injustice. Man’s reign will last for a short time, but the knowledge of the glory of the Lord will fill the earth and last forever. God’s justice will bring to ruin those who establish their kingdom upon bloodshed and a miscarriage of justice. God expects all people, from slaves to kings, to deal rightly with one another.
- What example of a scam or scheme have you encountered?
- How can we protect ourselves or each other from those who would take advantage of others?
- In what ways can we help the knowledge of the glory of God to fill the earth?
- Music Video, Traditional: “In the Garden” by Reflect Worship
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Daughters of Zion” from the Porter’s Gate
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Daughters of Zion” from the Porter’s Gate
- JFB Commentary on Habakkuk 2
- Ellicott’s Commentary on Habakkuk 2
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on Habakkuk 2
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.