Download “In the World” for May 10, 2020 here.
RESCUED ON A DIFFERENT BEACH
A few weeks ago, New Zealander Eli Smith, 39, went missing. He’d been hunting in the dense bushland of Stewart Island, also called Rakiura, off the southern coast of the South Island. He’d gotten lost because a knife in his pocket had interfered with his compass, resulting in incorrect bearings. At last understanding what had happened, Smith made his way to a beach—but it wasn’t one he recognized. He could hear the rescue helicopter in the distance, but he was far from where they were searching. He carved “HELP” on the beach and stayed put until he was finally found. When rescue arrived, peace flooded over him. “I was not going to die in the bush, that’s for sure.”
RESCUED IN A DIFFERENT WAY
God promised the prophet Zechariah that the people of Jerusalem would be rescued from the countries where they had been taken. He promised that the elderly would safely sit in the streets and children would be free to play beside them. God declared that He would treat the remnant of Israel differently from how He’d treated His people in the past, when He had brought punishment upon them. God’s promise of restored blessing brought great peace to the people of Jerusalem and Judah.
- When have you been lost and frightened? How were you found?
- How do you treat people after you have punished them?
- What is it like to receive correction from the Lord? What is it like to receive blessing?
- Music Video, Traditional: “It is Well with My Soul” by Nashville Studio Singers
- Music Video, Multicultural: “It is Well with My Soul” by Nashville Studio Singers
- Music Video, Contemporary: “It is Well with My Soul” by Nashville Studio Singers
- Coffman’s Commentary on Zechariah 8
- Guzik’s Commentary on Zechariah 8
- Pulpit Commentary on Zechariah 8
Copyright © 2020 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.