Download “In the World” for May 16, 2021 here.
A COACH’S CHOICE
The NFL draft took place a couple of weeks ago. The San Francisco 49ers traded up to have the third overall pick in the draft because they sorely needed a quarterback. The first two teams to make their picks were virtually guaranteed to also pick quarterbacks, and pretty much everyone knew who those first two picks would be. So the 49ers had to select from the young quarterbacks who remained. As sportswriter Josh Shrock put it, the choice for 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan is whether he would take one player who was “NFL-ready” but might have already reached his potential or another player who wasn’t as ready but whose potential might be unlimited. “Two paths stretch before Shanahan,” Shrock wrote. “Which one he walks will determine the course of his and the 49ers’ future.” He decided to draft the young player with potential, Trey Lance.
A KING’S CHOICE
King Zedekiah was in a terrible spot. However, Jeremiah made the situation crystal clear to him: you are going to Babylon either way. Your only choice is whether or not you’re going to bring about the deaths of your family and the destruction of Jerusalem too. The capital of David, the home of the temple, and the resting place of the ark of the covenant, not to mention all his sons and the other citizens inside Jerusalem, were in the king’s power to save. Sadly, Zedekiah chose poorly, and great was the suffering that followed.
- When have you or someone else taken a complicated situation and found a way to boil it down to a very clear choice?
- What was an example of when you had an extremely important decision to make? How did you decide?
- Why do you think King Zedekiah chose as he did?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Brethren, We Have Met to Worship” by Michael Card
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Worthy of It All” by Bri Babineaux/Revere
- Music Video, Contemporary: ““Worthy of It All” by Bri Babineaux/Revere
- Ellicott’s Commentary on Jeremiah 38
- Coffman’s Commentary on Jeremiah 38
- Guzik’s Commentary on Jeremiah 38
Get unlimited access to “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.