Download “In the World” for May 23, 2021 here.
IRRESPONSIBILITY IN SPACE
This month, China’s space agency successfully placed in orbit the first module of its new space station. However, the main rocket used to launch it was not caused to burn up in the atmosphere or controlled to splash down in the ocean, as NASA and other space agencies do. Instead, the 20-ton Chinese rocket entered orbit, which meant it would then fall to earth at some point—and in some random location, possibly on a populated area. Thankfully, it eventually splashed down in the Indian Ocean. However, “China was just playing the odds,” said Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. “They decided … ‘We’ll take the risk and we’ll pay compensation if it hits anything.’ ”
IRRESPONSIBILITY WITH SIN
In Ezekiel’s day, the Israelites thought they were not responsible for their own deeds. They played the odds too, hoping God would put the punishment for their sins onto the next generation, instead. God’s message for them was that He holds every person responsible for his or her own sin—and that the person who does not sin would certainly not be punished for the sins of the previous generation.
- What’s an example of someone who hoped to escape punishment by letting the responsibility fall on others?
- What’s the difference between taking responsibility for one’s own actions and acknowledging one’s complicity with the actions of others?
- When have you wanted someone else to take responsibility for their actions or choices?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “The Church in the Wildwood” by the Gaither Vocal Band
- Music Video, Multicultural: “My Heart Your Home” by Alton Eugene and Maverick City Music
- Music Video, Contemporary: “My Heart Your Home” by Alton Eugene and Maverick City Music
- Guzik’s Commentary on Ezekiel 18
- Coffman’s Commentary on Ezekiel 18
- Working Preacher’s Commentary on Ezekiel 18:1–4; 26–32
Get unlimited access to the “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.