Download “In the World” for May 30, 2021 here.
COMPASSION FOR THE HURTING
May is Mental Health Awareness Month in the United States. This May, one couple was dining at a restaurant in Buffalo, NY, and noticed a semicolon tattoo on the wrist of their server, Katie Battel. A semicolon is used when a writer could’ve chosen to end a sentence but chose not to; in the same way, a semicolon tattoo shows that the person has chosen not to end his or her life. The couple left a nice tip for Katie and a note saying they were so glad she was still here. What they didn’t know was that Katie’s suicidal thoughts had returned lately. “It was just like a sign,” she told a reporter. “Like, ‘Hey, girl, we know you’re going through it again, but … here’s a little boost to help you keep going.’ ” An act of compassion helped give this young woman a future.
COMPASSION FOR THE SINFUL
When Jonah finally preached God’s message of doom in the heart of Nineveh, he could hardly have guessed the city’s reaction. While he was still hoping for them to reject God’s warning and suffer His judgment, they took the prophecy seriously. From the king in his palace to the lowliest livestock, all put on sackcloth and fasted, together begging the Lord to show compassion on them and turn His wrath away.
- When you hear the words Mental Health Awareness Month, who or what comes to mind?
- What’s a dark outcome you or someone else turned from, and what caused the change?
- Do you regularly pray for those who hurt you? Explain your answer.
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Day by Day”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Let It Be Known” by Kevin LeVar
- Music Video, Contemporary: “I Will Wait” by David Leonard
- Guzik’s Commentary on Jonah 3
- Barnes’s Commentary on Jonah 3
- Gill’s Exposition of Jonah 3
Get unlimited access to the “Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” podcast when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.