Download “In the World” for November 8, 2020 here.
“Unpacking This Week’s Lesson” is a podcast designed to give you additional insight to lesson context, the key verse, and applying the lesson. And you can share this podcast with your entire class—just copy the URL and email or text the link! https://soundcloud.com/user-809447765/issl-fall-2020-lesson-10. Get unlimited access to the weekly lesson podcast and other materials when you sign up for our Church Support Program: https://churchsupport.davidccook.org/.
THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE FOR A SON
This summer, television actress Naya Rivera (33) drowned after getting her son, Josey (4), back into their boat. Rivera, who appeared on TV’s Glee, was a strong swimmer. She had rented a pontoon boat on Lake Piru northwest of Los Angeles and had tweeted the day before how much she and Josey were enjoying spending time “just the two of us.” The boy was later found asleep on the drifting boat, but Rivera’s body was not found for another five days. Experts speculated that she might have been caught in currents that rise up in that lake. Her last act was to save her son’s life.
THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE FOR FRIENDS
Jesus called the disciples to love one another with sacrificial love. They could not know how truly Jesus would soon live out this command. No one can show greater love than to lay down his or her life for another person. The idea becomes even more amazing when we realize that the Creator laid down His life for the creature.
- What is the strongest illustration of sacrificial love that you have personally witnessed?
- How would you characterize our culture’s attitude toward denying oneself for another?
- Which of your rights or comforts might you lay down to love someone else?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Victory in Jesus”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Innocent Lives” by Bobby Alexandre & Mark Alan Schoolmeesters
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Yet Not I but Through Christ in Me” by Lee University Singers
- Guzik’s Commentary on John 15
- MacLaren’s Exposition of John 15
- Spurgeon’s Exposition of John 15
Copyright © 2020 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.