Download “In the World” for October 13, 2019 here.
A RISK IN IRAN
The nation with the fastest-growing church in the world is, surprisingly, Iran. According to Frontier Alliance International, God is moving powerfully in Iran, leaving some mosques empty and people leaving Islam in droves. The ayatollahs have brought persecution, which the leaders (mostly women) of the Iranian church say did the church a favor by driving away halfhearted believers. “When we walk outside,” one Iranian Christian said, “we really don’t care if we get arrested, we are not upset if we get arrested. What is 50 years in prison compared to eternity with Jesus?”
A WIDOW’S RISK
When Elijah told the widow of Sidon to trust that the God of Israel would provide miraculously for her and her son, he was asking her to risk everything. Her situation was so destitute that she had despaired of life and was preparing for death. But Elijah challenged her to have faith in a God she did not know. If she risked herself and He did not uphold His promise, she would lose everything. But she did trust, and He did uphold His promise.
- What can we learn from the faith of persecuted Iranian Christians?
- When has it been the hardest time in your life to maintain your faith in the Lord?
- How are trust and risk a crucial part of your faith?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Watch the free 2-hour video about the church in Iran
- Music Video, Traditional: “All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Miracles Happen” by Life Worship
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Hold On To You Forever” by Kees Kraayenoord
- Guzik’s Commentary on 1 Kings 17
- Spurgeon’s Exposition of 1 Kings 17:1–24
- Bible.org Commentary on 1 Kings 8–16
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.