Download “In the World” for October 20, 2019 here.
SURPRISED BY KIDS
In Roseville, California, last month, a woman with dementia wandered from her care facility, and the police posted a notice on Facebook. Many people took to the streets to look for her—including a group of local kids aged ten and younger. They got their bikes and went riding around their neighborhood. They did find her, and they called the police, who came and took her safely home. The police dispatcher was very surprised to hear that it was a group of kids who had found the missing person.
SURPRISED BY FAITH
On the streets of Capernaum, Jesus also found himself surprised by what he heard. He was walking to a Roman centurion’s home, where a servant lay sick. While he was on the way, the centurion sent word that Jesus didn’t need to come to the man’s house. He wasn’t worthy for Jesus to enter, he said. What was more, his faith in Jesus’ ability to simply command an illness away, even from afar, excelled the faith that Jesus had seen among the Jews … to the point that Jesus marveled.
- What’s something that surprised you lately?
- When was a time when you were surprised by someone’s faith (or lack of faith), including your own?
- What aspects of this episode from Jesus’ ministry do you find surprising?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Blessed Assurance” by Third Day
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Hunger” by David & Nicole Binion
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Brokenness Aside” by All Sons & Daughters
- Guzik’s Commentary on Luke 7
- Barclay’s Commentary on Luke 7
- Coffman’s Commentary on Luke 7
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.