Download “In the World” for September 1, 2019 here.
FAITHFUL DESPITE SHARKS
Last month, a fisherman in California hooked a shark as long as the fisherman was tall. He tried to get the hook out of the shark’s mouth, but it lunged at him and sank its jaws into his thigh, piercing an artery. The man called out, but the nearest human help was over a hundred yards away. However, Darby—the man’s year-old pit bull waiting in the car nearby—leapt from the window and came to his master’s aid. He sank his own teeth into the shark and eventually pulled it off, and they got the shark back into the water. The fisherman recovered, but things could’ve been much worse if not for the courage of a faithful dog.
FAITHFUL DESPITE SIN
In today’s lesson, we read of the extreme evil of the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah in the time of Abraham and Lot. Yet despite their great sin, God remained faithful to His own, providing a gracious way of escape for Lot and his family. Though the culture was deeply corrupt, still God remembered His promises to His people and made sure they were safe.
- When has a faithful companion (human or otherwise) given aid that prevented you from coming to great harm?
- Why is it difficult (or is it difficult) to remain true to a promise when the other person has been involved in some sin or misdeed?
- How should we respond if we find ourselves in corrupt and sinful surroundings?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “How Great Thou Art”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “How Great/It Is Happening” by David & Nicole Binion
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Way Maker” by Leeland
- Commentary on Genesis 19:26 from the Forerunner Commentary
- Commentary on Genesis 19 from Bible.org
- Commentary on Genesis 19 from the Free Bible Commentary
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.