Download “In the World” for September 15, 2019 here.
HOARDING IN THE FACE OF A HURRICANE
This month, Hurricane Dorian made its slow, menacing approach to Florida and the eastern seaboard, leaving death and destruction in its wake. In its predicted path, people rushed to stores, quickly buying out the fresh water, canned food, batteries, and gasoline. People also hoarded things they knew they didn’t need, purchasing them “just in case” because of the fear they felt in the face of an uncertain future.
HOARDING IN THE FACE OF A WILDERNESS
In the wilderness of the Sinai Desert, the children of Israel also faced an uncertain future. The people walked through an environment infamous for its inability to support life. And despite how God had repeatedly proved that He would provide for them, they nevertheless hoarded even the daily manna God miraculously gave them. But what they saved from the previous day was eaten by worms. God wants us to trust Him to provide every day, because we always live in uncertain times. We are His people, and He is our provider and protector.
- What’s an impending disaster or uncertainty you had to prepare for?
- What would you say to someone who says we shouldn’t work or prepare at all but should just trust God?
- Why is it sometimes hard to trust God when fearful possibilities loom?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Trust and Obey” by Don Moen
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Just Wanna Say” by Israel Houghton
- Music Video, Contemporary: “I Still Believe” by Thrive Worship
- Sermon Writer.com Commentary on Exodus 16:1-15
- Coffman’s Commentary on Exodus 16
- Guzik’s Commentary on Exodus 16
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.