Download “In the World” for September 19, 2021 here.
DESPERATE FOR NURSES
“Stress is part of the game when you sign up to be an emergency medicine RN, but this is another level.” Trauma nurse Matt Miele made it through the brutal early waves of COVID-19, though not without extreme stress. But just when he and his burned-out peers thought things were heading back toward normalcy, the Delta variant hit. “We thought the pandemic would be over soon and could take time later to deal with our emotions,” said Zenei Triunfo-Cortez, president of National Nurses United. But it was not to be. Now, hospitals and clinics across America deal with critical nursing shortages, and the nurses who remain are being pushed beyond the breaking point. “Some days coming home from the hospital I yell at God, I yell at myself, I yell at COVID and cry,” said ICU nurse Mary Lynn Briggs. “And that’s all before I pull into my driveway.” The need for more nurses is desperate, but the nurses themselves are becoming emotionally desperate.
DESPERATE FOR GOD
Life was hard for Bartimaeus, a blind beggar in Jericho during the ministry of Jesus. Perhaps word of the miraculous healing powers of Jesus had reached his ears, and perhaps he found himself longing for a chance to gain access to him. But how could he? He couldn’t exactly just hop up and go find him. So when he heard that Jesus was in Jericho, actually near enough that he could reach him, Bartimaeus leapt up and awkwardly but boldly stumbled toward the Messiah, crying out to Jesus. People told him to be quiet, but his desperation only surged, and he wailed for mercy. Jesus rewarded his faith by healing his blindness.
- When in your life were you most desperate for something?
- In what ways could your church minister in Jesus’ name to local nurses and other medical staff?
- What is the relationship between Bartimaeus’ desperation and the faith Jesus praises him for?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Amazing Grace” by Simon Khorolskiy
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Shepherd” by Nashville Life Music & Leeland
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Shepherd” by Nashville Life Music & Leeland
- Guzik’s Commentary on Mark 10
- Coffman’s Commentary on Mark 10
- Working Preacher Commentary on Mark 10:46–52
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.