Download “In the World” for September 22, 2019 here.
FAITH IN THE GUIDANCE OF THE TOWER
In Australia this month, a 29-year-old student pilot found himself flying solo on just his third training flight. An hour after takeoff, the man’s instructor fell unconscious. The student did not give in to fear. He radioed the tower at the airfield in Perth, and personnel began talking him through how to land. He paid very close attention to the instructions from the voice on the ground, and he managed a perfect landing.
FAITH IN THE GUIDANCE OF THE LORD
When the children of Israel stood on the threshold to the Promised Land and heard the report of the spies, they had a similar decision to make. Would they trust the instructions from the voice on the mountain, or would they give in to fear? Despite the efforts of Caleb and Joshua, they chose to cease listening to God’s guidance and instead listened to their fears. God punished them with decades in the wilderness and the death of all those adults who did not trust Him.
- When have you had to choose between trusting God or succumbing to fear?
- Why does it seem more difficult to trust God when our situation feels fearful and uncertain?
- If you played a game in which you were blindfolded and had to cross a room full of obstacles based only on instructions from someone else, would you trust the voice guiding you? Why or why not?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Praise to the Lord the Almighty”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “Glory” by Nashville Life Music
- Music Video, Contemporary: “Come as You Are” by David Leonard
- Guzik’s Commentary on Numbers 13 and Numbers 14
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on Numbers 13 and Numbers 14
- Coffman’s Commentary on Numbers 13 and Numbers 14
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.