Download “In the World” for September 26, 2021 here.
Earlier this month, the third annual Future of Home conference took place in New York City. The conference, which focuses on companies that serve the home market, hosted a discussion that featured home guru Martha Stewart and Jim Shreve, president and CEO of Baccarat North America (Baccarat sells high-end crystal products). Stewart and Shreve recently collaborated to create new glasses for Stewart’s signature drinks. Over the years, Stewart has created several of what she calls “playful partnerships,” alliances with partners as diverse as a hydroponics firm and rapper Snoop Dogg. A collaboration such as this is fun, Stewart says, “but it’s calculated fun—it makes money, and it gets people thinking…. [Collaborations] brought in a new group of people and more opportunities.”
When Peter preached to the crowd at the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit initiated a large-scale collaboration. In a single day, God added 3,000 people to the Church in Jerusalem, and they joyfully joined their resources and gifts to serve one another. The realities of this new happy partnership meant that everyone had to get creative in using what they had and could do to help their fellow believers. They give us a wonderful illustration of how God has designed the local church to work.
- What’s a great partnership, alliance, or collaboration you know of?
- What factors do you think might go into making a strategic partnership successful?
- How long did it take for the new believers in Jerusalem to begin using their gifts and resources to serve the church?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Mansions of the Lord”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “He’s My Rock” by Bri Babineaux
- Music Video, Contemporary: “You in My Life” by Tom Smith
- Guzik’s Commentary on Acts 2
- Ellicott’s Commentary on Acts 2
- JFB Commentary on Acts 2
Copyright © 2021 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.