Download “In the World” for September 8, 2019 here.
FROM LIFE-GIVER TO BARREN
Fires have raged for weeks in Brazil’s Amazon rainforest. The Amazon is earth’s largest and most fertile rainforest. It is responsible for generating 20 percent of the world’s oxygen, earning it the nickname “the lungs of the planet.” The fires, which may have been caused or at least helped by deforestation in the region, have left two million acres smoldering in barren ruin. What has been life-giving has suffered harm, and hopefully will become fertile again.
FROM BARREN TO LIFE-GIVER
Hannah was Elkanah’s first wife, but she lived in grief and pain because she was infertile. Though Elkanah honored Hannah with his love, he took a second wife to bear children to his name. Perhaps Hannah wondered if God were punishing or cursing her by closing her womb. She cried out in prayer at the site of the Tabernacle, making a vow to God if He would make her fertile. Eli the priest heard her and added his blessing to her request for a child. Soon thereafter, her barrenness and her grief were taken away, and she brought forth a son.
- Have you lived through grief and pain similar to what Hannah went through?
- What might you say to someone who feels that God is punishing or cursing them?
- What story or event can you recall in which someone’s shame was turned to honor?
These videos and materials are for your personal use. If you show videos in class, be sure to have the necessary rights to do so.
- Music Video, Traditional: “Holy, Holy, Holy”
- Music Video, Multicultural: “I Don’t Wanna Leave” by William McDowell
- Music Video, Contemporary: “You Are God, Be Glorified” by Danny O’Callaghan
- Enduring Word commentary on 1 Samuel 1
- Matthew Henry’s commentary on 1 Samuel 1
- Commentary on 1 Samuel 1 from bible.org
Copyright © 2019 by Standard Publishing, part of the David C Cook family.
All rights reserved. Each download is for the use of one church only.